Tutoring and Study Habits

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tutoring and Study Habits

Nancy Tran, Staff Writer

Tests. The bane of our school lives, yet one of the most important factors in deciding what your GPA may become. Though tests may be based on mainly retaining memory and being able to regurgitate it back onto paper, it does make up a large percentage of grades. Therefore, it’s very important to study for those tests in order to get a passing grade or even better, ace it entirely! Here are several methods, that though may be recognizable, can be used to help those who are struggling to find the right studying techniques.

The easiest, just reviewing notes and old assignments. It’s the simplest method and tests how much you can remember in the span of time from when you begin memorizing those notes to the day of the test. A simple, albeit somewhat extra, a method that has been circulating around the internet is rewriting notes twice. The first time is used to take in as much information, and the second time to make it neater so that it’s easier to study off of. It may also be a stress reliever, as some may enjoy making their notes look aesthetically pleasing, taking joy in hobbies such as that!

Another common method is using apps or websites in which their sole purpose is to make studying more convenient and efficient on the student, such as that is Quizlet. Quizlet allows students to use different techniques in studying, whether through flashcards, writing out answers, or even a flash minigame. Plus, you can test your knowledge with the practice test and it can be shared among classmates who need it.

Though it’s not recommended, cramming may be the last option available for a variety of reasons. If the plan is to cram, at least do it the night before in the recommended ten-minute intervals. Study for ten minutes and take a five-minute break between each interval so the mind isn’t strained easily unless it’s used to long periods of concentration. By doing so, students are given the chance to review what they studied, sleep on it, and are able to focus more of their attention on what they don’t know the day after and before the test as they had studied some just the night before.

Don’t stress out if expectations aren’t reached in terms of the score you got! There’s always next time, and the opportunity can be used to learn from those experiences in order to manage the study habits much better the next time around. There’s also students and teachers that are there to help! If there are any questions, the teachers on campus are more than happy to help if needed. Mt. Pleasant also provides tutoring, both by students and adults! At their disposal are students, teachers, and even City Year to help assist those struggling in all subjects, so take advantage of the opportunity that’s been given and ace that next test!